Friday, December 30, 2011

A few good recipes- part 1

So friends, I have spent lots of time coming up with recipes that fit my criteria, and here are a few of the recipes that I would recommend. One is new, and one is an oldie but a goodie.

Here is the tried and true salad that I have made many times, and LOVE!

GREEK PANZANELLA

Croutons:

Good Olive Oil
1 small loaf French Bread-cut into 1 inch cubes
Kosher Salt

Salad:

1 Cucumber- chunked
1 Red Pepper- chunked
1 Yellow Pepper- chunked
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes- halved
1/2 Red Onion- diced
1/2 lb. Feta Cheese
1/2 C. Calamata Olives (I use regular black olives)

Vinaigrette:

2 Cloves Garlic
1 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/2 C. Olive Oil

Heat 3 T. Olive Oil in large saute pan (I use my electric skillet). Add the bread cubes and sprinkle with salt. Cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently for 5-10 minutes, until nicely brown and crisp. Add more olive oil as needed.

Place the cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and red onion in large bowl.

Mix together dressing in blender and pour over vegetables. Add feta, olives and bread cubes. Toss and serve.

This salad is divine! It is fairly simple, chop the veggies, mix the dressing, and then make the croutons. I like to serve it with greek slow-roasted beef sandwiches. (Roast, greek banana peppers, beef broth, oregano and basil, garlic and onion - in the crock pot)

No comments: