Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Apricots, Apricots and more Apricots!!




So, we were out yesterday morning picking apricots from our tree, we put Logan on a blanket in the grass with a few toys, he apparently wasn't interested in the toys, because I looked over to see him eating a smooshed apricot from the ground. (yuck!) So we moved him back a little ways, away from the apricots, but before we knew it, he had found his way over to the basket and he was eating apricots as quickly as he could. He would take a bite, then put it back and take another bite of another one, and put it back. He was in heaven!



And for anyone out there who likes to can- here is a great recipe you might like to try. It is my own creation, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.


Apricot Syrup

9 C. Apricot Puree
1 pkg. Pectin
4 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Almond Extract (opt.)

To make apricot puree, pit apricots and place in pan with 2 cups of water. Heat just until soft. Put apricots (and juice) through food mill to remove skins. Return puree to pan and mix in pectin. Bring to a boil, then add sugar and almond extract, if desired. Return to boiling; boil hard 1 minute. Pour into jars and process 15 minutes in water bath or steam canner. (Processing time is for Utah- lower altitudes would only take 10 minutes)

I made this last night, and we ate it on pancakes this morning, it was SOOOOO yummy. It set up really nicely, just the right consistency for syrup. I also make this with blackberries in the fall, and it is a family favorite of ours. I think I am going to try apple cinnamon syrup this fall too, when apples are on. :)

Happy canning if you decide to try it!
Let me know what you think, if any of you do decide to try it.


5 comments:

Queen of the Hill said...

That sounds really yummy. Logan is too cute. He definately belongs in your family!

Andrea said...

Sounds good. Too bad I didn't get enough blackberries to do it, but the blackberry cream pie recipe I found sounds so yummy I don't want to sacrifice the berries for syrup. :)

Tara Oliver said...

smart little boy!! yummy looking recipe, too.

The Mecham Family said...

SOUNDS GREAT! I'd Love to try it!

Susan said...

Cutest kid EVER!! I love you guys so much. And miss you all!