Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The deciding factor

So, if there was ever a debate about wether I am a good mom or not, the following incident could quite possibly resolve the issue, and not in my favor....

Yesterday, I was making dinner, and my oldest, Ally was sweeping the floor for me. Olivia and Logan were playing in the kitchen and living room. Ally finished and asked me if I would help her sweep her dirt pile into the dustpan, I agreed and at that same moment, I heard my neighbor outside. I went to the door and leaned my head out to tell him something quickly, It was intended to be a 60 second conversation, but then we started talking about something else. I walked out onto the porch and then another minute later, I was standing in the driveway talking. We were having a grand conversation, laughing and having a fun time.

After about 5 minutes, I noticed that my 2 girls were now outside with me, riding bikes in the driveway, and that Craig had come up from the back yard. In that instant I thought...UH-OH, where is Logan....I panicked and went running into the house, only to find him sitting on the floor, not far from Ally's dirt pile, helping himself to whatever he could find.....

With dirt on his lips and chin, I picked him up and thought first...how grateful I was that he wasn't hurt, and second, wow, I must be the world's worst mom....

He was happy to have been left in freedom to eat whatever he wanted to out of the great buffet on the floor. And honestly, if it weren't for that tantalizing pile of morsels, he might have made is way down the stair to the basement, or out the door and down the stairs to the concrete....It could have been a great trauma, but lucky for all of us, no harm was done.

So today, I give thanks for my children's gaurdian angels, the spirit's voice of warning, piles of cheerios, crackers and who knows what else, and this subtle reminder to be a better mom... :)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

You are an awesome mom-don't let a little incident let you think otherwise.

The Mecham Family said...

I'm glad things like this happen to others- sounds like a normal mom's life :)

Anna said...

every mom knows this happens sometimes! And yes, thank God for every near miss that did not result in injury-- around here, they happen more often than I'd like! I am so delighted that you're sharing "real life" here!

Queen of the Hill said...

yeah, I don't think that counts as worst mom. I can think of worse. and I actually know what an awesome mom you are, which always makes up for the occational goof.